Friday 1 June 2012

Children are so clued up!

Ever since Noah could communicate with us, my Mum would constantly say "parang nakakaintindi" which translated means "as if he understands".

At a very early age, Noah delighted us all by following our instructions. Pick up the ball, Hand the toy to Mummy, Say night night - pretty much anything that we "challenged" him to, he delivered (of course we always gave him plenty of slack!).  I would constantly tell my Mum that Noah does understand, that despite being a baby, he knows exactly what we are asking of him.

I was reminded of this on the weekend.

Tim and I have been having more than our fair share of arguments lately. Well, technically it's me picking on him! Call it the lack of sleep or the wee 6 week old continuously hanging off my boobs or the 2 year old toddler testing my patience...my poor husband has been on the receiving end of my impatience and irritability. Bless his heart!

The weekend was no different. Once again, my fuse was short and I picked a fight. We were in the car on our way somewhere when this happened. What made me stop in my tracks (and if you know me well enough, you know the old Jo can be very unforgiving and righteous) was when Noah started crying. Amidst our argument, the little man in the backseat was crying...as if to say Stop arguing!

I was humbled! Does he really know? How? When did he start picking up on this?

I was taken back to my Mums words.

Maybe someone needs to remind me, as I remind my Mum that he does know. Noah does understand and part of it is him understanding when his parents are arguing.

I will forever have that thought in my mind. The next time I pick a fight with Tim in front of Noah, I will remind myself that he knows exactly what is going on. I am not planning on protecting my kids from the realities of life but God knows that if there is something that I can control to allow my children a better life experience, especially as a child, then I am going to do my darn best to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment