Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Best Woman....- Written October 24, 2006

My baby Brother got married last Saturday. He asked me to be his Best Woman. What a trip! I did not have to wear a Tux, nor organise his Bucks Night Party (thanks to the Man of Honour), but I did have to say a speech, which I want to share below....

Hi Everyone!

I don't know how many Best Women there have been, but I am very grateful and proud that Charles asked me to stand with him today on his very special day.

I have been thinking a lot the last couple of days of what I wanted to share tonight. Shall I go all serious, but I figured that I am unmarried, and do not have the right nor the experience to be giving marital advise. Shall I go all silly and funny and share what happens to Charles when Tequila shares a night with him - Just ask the Man of Honour Joe, who organised the Bucks Party what really happened! However, I figured that this is my only chance to share with you just how special Charles is to me...so I figured Nice, I will keep this Nice.

My brother and I have always been close, despite the distance between us. I think that growing up with just one sibling, you either end up being really close or not. I am lucky that ours in on the better end.

There is a 4 and a half year gap between us. Growing up, we definitely felt the gap. We drove each other crazy. Our favourite past time was to fight, whether he gets to watch Inspector Gadget or I get to watch Neighbours. We would fight continuously until someone would start crying. With typical siblings, usually the non crier wins and gets to watch the their tv show. However with us, one person crying usually leads to the other person crying too...until we would both be bawling, no longer caring about which tv show to watch. Instead, trying to work out why we make each other cry in the first place, when we hate seeing each other upset.

Charles might be 6ft tall and 6ft wide, but he is definitely a sensitive, new age man - or a cry baby. Did you see how his eyes teared up when he saw his bride coming down the aisle this afternoon?
Charles has always been the nicer child. His friendly face, easy demeanour and helpful attitude always won him friends. My Chef at work in DC continues to ask about him, even exchanging emails, despite having met only a couple of times.

Growing up, I always admired Charles' business minded skills. He was selling our mother's home made spring rolls to his school mates as early as 7 years old, and getting the whole family to do a newspaper delivery around our area on weekends - making it a family affair, with him pocketing all the money!

Today, Charles and I are the best of friends. He has always been my travel buddy, starting from our first trip without Mum and Dad to Jakarta, when we were both very young to our last trip to Tijuana last year.  He is my sports coach - being tennis and golf buddies, as well as buddies on the slopes - We tried to snowboard together my first Blue run mountain, where he continuously made me believe that I was good enough until I had to take the lift all by myself to get down as the snow patrol told us our tandem was failing miserably. He is my gimik buddy - with all my friends quickly becoming his friends. He is my shopping buddy - outlets always have to be a part of our itinerary wherever we go - Bambi, you definitely got yourself a bargain hunter here. He is my eating buddy - then always telling each other that we need to diet. He is my rock and my confidante. He continues to be my voice of reason. Oftentimes, I feel that he is older than me, wise with his thoughts and positive with his energy. His maturity and smartness amazes me. It's funny. I need to learn the hard way. He learns the easy way..Yet end result, here he is with a lovely wife, a beautiful daughter and nothing else to ask for.

I have been privy to the Charles and Bambi relationship. I have seen them during the time in their relationship when they could not get enough of each other - circa Mid 1990's Fat willys days - and I have seen them during their difficult moments too, when I would continuously wonder whether they really should be together or not.

I am so happy and proud that they have finally found a place in their relationship where they have both realised what each other's worth is.

Bambi, Thank you so much for your patience with Charlie and your patience with me. I know that our relationship has been a rollercoaster ride. I look forward to becoming better friends and better siblings. Thank you for loving my brother a lot. I know that you are going to take care of him to the best of your ability. Keep making him laugh and keep taking on new adventures with him. Best of luck with his kakulitan. Take it with a grain of salt and remember that it is part of his charm.

Charlie, I am sooooo happy to see you soooo happy. I see it in your face and in your actions.
Becoming a Dad to Isabel and a husband to Bambi was certainly unexpected but I have never seen pure joy in your face. It is almost as if I am seeing you find home. You are exactly where you are suppose to be.

Guys, watching your relationship unfold is truly a testament that God has a plan for each of us, much much better than what we could hope for or expect.I hope that you will remember that despite the unconventional path that you have taken, what you have is truly a gift from God. Treasure it and make the most out of it.

May your love for each other grow stronger each day.

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.

Take care of each other.

I love you both and congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment