Wednesday 23 May 2012

Priorities!

My priorities!
So I have been in my new role for 5 weeks now. Blogging has been demoted as a priority on my list of things to do since the new one joined our family. It has been replaced by the non stop priority of feeding and changing nappies of a newborn. However, I really want to stick to my quota of 2 entries a month, so here I am.

Priorities! I have always fancied myself to be very good at time management. I have told Tim several times before that I have spent a good part of my life working out what my priorities are and tending to them one at a time, in order to achieve things. Studying, Working, Traveling, Rekindling with my past and roots, a Dynamic Career, Owning my own house and finally Family. If I was asked to sum up my priorities in the last 20 years, that is would be the short of it.

Lately, I have been drowning in my own priorities. When I wake up in the morning, I usually like to outline in my own head the things I need to get done during the day. When Noah is at daycare, my priority is to get him ready for school in the morning so that I can drop him off then finally start my day.... tending to the things on my list. Prior to E joining us, the only hurdle to getting Noah to school at a specific time is Noah. If he woke up early, we would be at school on the earlier side while if he slept in, we usually let him sleep in so we would be late. These days, it is no longer as straightforward. Take last Monday for example, when Tim had to fly out to Melbourne for the day and had to leave the house at 6.15am. Usually when Tim is at home, I can rely on him to tend to Noah while I tend to Eliza and I would leave Eliza at home to drop Noah off.

However, last Monday, before we can even consider getting out the door to go to school, I had to make sure that Eliza has been fed, nappy changed, placed in the capsule and Noah's nappy has been changed, outfit changed, breakfast eaten, teeth cleaned, socks and shoes on and day bag packed. Oh add the fact that I too had to take a shower and get myself sorted....and remember this is me functioning on broken sleep of late.

Once dropped off, the day is spent either doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, studying or grocery shopping while fitting in Eliza's feeds, naps, bath, and a walk for fresh air. 

When Noah is at home with me, the priority shifts. The big thing is to get us to a playpark or a picnic somewhere so that he can run around and exhaust himself, then try and fit things in that need to be done as per usual.

These days I have had to start embracing that there are things on my priority list which I am not going to be able to cross off immediately. I have yet to clean the house for the week, my assignment for my course still need to be completed, the clothes have yet to be folded.

I will honestly say that last week, I was bothered by the fact that I had so much loose ends and that there were things that continued to hover. I felt extremely overwhelmed, almost to the fact that I questioned whether I was coping in my new role. Yes, I can be pedantic when it comes to my time management!

However today, I figured that the only way I am going to keep sane in this new role of mine is to relax and embrace the loose ends. A friend actually suggested to me to start making peace with the mess at home. I am not perfect and I cannot do everything I achieve to do (at least not within the time frame I give myself!). I guess I will just continue to prioritise and reprioritise and embrace the fact that I now have 2 munchkins who supercede other priorities on my list!


...and this is how I managed to write this blog today!

Version #1 is on the ipad in the bedroom, creating a havoc!


Version #2 is in her bouncer peacefully napping away!



1 comment:

  1. I hear you lady. why do we put so many things on our to do lists and then beat ourselves up when they all don't get crossed off? Glad that you made time to post ox

    ReplyDelete