Wednesday 20 June 2012

Christmas Traditions - Written December 25, 2006

Some of my best childhood memories were made during Christmas when I was a little girl in Manila. At Sundown on Christmas eve, I would put on newly bought clothes, then our whole family would make our way to Fiesta Carnival, before heading to my maternal grandparent's home for an evening of festivities. There, I would see my cousins, exchange gifts, eat noche buena before heading to the local church for midnight mass. After mass we would head home with our car loaded full of presents, then I would run very quickly to see what Santa had stuffed inside the Sock (did not have Stockings then!)that I had taped to my door! On Christmas day, we would once again go to mass, head to my paternal grandparent's home for another feast, exchange gifts, then head out and drive to my parent's relatives' homes so that we could make "pamasko".

When we moved to Sydney, tradition changed a wee bit. We would still go to midnight mass in our new outfits, then head home and eat our noche buena and exchange presents. However Christmas Day equated to the family going to the beach.

When I left Sydney about 10 years ago to "spread my wings", little did I realise that I was going to lose the tradition that I had learned to attach with Christmas.

Christmas 2001 was my first Christmas ever without the family and not being in Manila. I found myself in New Jersey with some wonderful friends who did not hesitate to adopt me. I joined their family celebrations and their traditions. They opened their home and hearts to me. I am forever grateful.

Christmas 2002 was a busy one! I drove up with my cousin and her family to New York (thank you insan!) to spend Christmas eve with relatives. They gave me a Christmas before I headed out to London to spend the rest of the Holiday Season with my brother.

Christmas 2003 was spent in San Francisco. My cousin and I met my brother in SFO to spend the Holidays with my Aunt her family. Tradition was very far from me when I found myself sleeping in the airport whilst on transit since I missed my flight due to delays.

Christmas 2004 was my first Christmas in town. I will forever remember that Christmas since it was the first time I went to Christmas eve mass on my own. I think that was the first time I realised how far away I was from my family.

Last Christmas, I flew to Toronto. I needed to be with a friend during the Holidays.I did not need the tradition of the Season but instead I needed someone to see me through. It was a perfect Christmas.

Christmas 2006 - one I was definitely dreading. Obviously I have replaced being with family, having noche buena and seeing what Santa might have brought along with the tradition of escaping during Christmas.

This year, I knew I could not keep my yearly tradition. I was stuck!

Either way, not having the tradition with my family nor the tradition of escaping did not deter from Christmas working its magic this year.

Christmas eve was spent having lunch with a girlfriend and her baby boy at IHOP (yupl IHOP!) That was a beautiful gift from God. Sharing, talking and just being with them continued to attest how truly amazing God and His work is.

I managed to have Noche buena with a friend whose family continuously adopts me, before heading off to midnite mass to meet my cousin and her friend.

Tradition was certainly different this year, but nonetheless Christ's presence was still there.. being with friends, making it to midnite mass, getting parking, getting seats, getting home in one piece, being able to speak with my family in Sydney before heading to sleep...

I wonder what is in store for Christmas 2007???

I think that it might be time to start a new tradition.....

No comments:

Post a Comment