Wednesday 11 July 2012

Whoa!- Written December 13, 2007

I have spent the last 4 Saturday's going to open houses around Sydney.  I have seen 2 bedroom flats, 1 bedroom flats, dirty old flats, bright and shiney new flats that are way beyond my budget, flats that have made me laugh, flats that have made me wonder...flats of all sorts I guess.  I was starting to get frustrated after the last field trip. I was not finding anything I was keen on. Either it was way beyond my budget, not upto par, too far of a commute or the place just did not do anything for me.

Coming into househunting, my brother kept telling me that I had to decide on a location first. He said once I have decided, it will be much easier. I was not listening to him. I wanted to drive around Sydney and see what was available and how much places cost. Too much and too far was what I found. Sydney happens to be the 21st most expensive city in the world..way more than New York City. Hence the value of my old place in DC is relatively smaller than places in Sydney and of course the USD is just getting weaker and weaker against a strong AUD!

Anyway.

My brother sent me another listing last Monday. Somehow I missed the open house that they had the Saturday before. I called the realtor and left a message. He immediately returned my call which was good. At least he was interested in trying to sell the property, unlike others out there who come across wanting you to beg them to sell the property. I told him that I wanted to view the property but was only available that night after work. I already had plans for the rest of the week. He was agreeable. He even offered for me to meet him at his work, which was just around the corner from mine, so that he can drive me to the property.

So we met and we went to the property. I knew I was in love. She is not the most perfect unit but I felt that she was perfect for me. I could honestly imagine myself cooking in the kitchen (once I did a bit of updating!), hanging out in the lounge, having brunch in the balcony and sleeping in my to-die-for bed in the bedroom. There was a bit of work to be done but it was purely cosmetic.

Otherwise, I knew she was mine if God meant for her to be mine.

I whispered a little prayer to God.

I had never bought a property in Sydney so I was not sure of the procedure. I asked the realtor whether I am suppose to go home and ring him up with an offer the following day. He of course told me that I can make an offer right then if I was comfortable which he can bring up to the seller.
I knew what I wanted to offer. Not what they were asking but what I wanted to pay. It was a little bit less than what they were anticipating I am sure but at the same time, I was going beyond my budget. I made an offer right then and there. I said that if the place is meant for me, then the sellers will give it to me. If however, they are getting a better from someone else, I knew that something else would come along.

The realtor said that he will do the best he can and get back to me that evening.

On my way home, I called two of the most important people in my life, my mum and my brother. I think that both of them nearly had a heart attack when I told them that I had made an offer on a place. I guess they felt I was being impulsive. Did I feel that? Maybe a bit. Did I feel good I made an offer? Heck YEH!

The realtor did call me back later that night. They agreed at my price. The husband and wife had to discuss it but eventually made the decision. I was ecstatic.

I said my little prayer of thanks and started to get really excited.

We are now in the process of putting the paperwork together to close early February, just in time for my birthday. My brother has seen the place and has given his seal of approval, including trying to figure out the best place for the tele(???). My parents are going to see it for the first time tomorrow and I am confident that they too will see it for what its worth.

Purchasing her was definitely a whirlwind romance, but as I have seen from family and friends, and have experienced first hand, when it comes to blessings from God, as long as prayers are involved, you just know when it is right for you.

...and yes, my brother was right. Once you know where you want to live, it becomes much easier.
My new abode is walking distance from work, amongst other things! Yey!

No comments:

Post a Comment