Wednesday 11 July 2012

Snail Mail - September 24, 2007

I got a package in the mail yesterday from a friend in CA. With the package was a letter that she wrote on a handmade stationery.  A line that she wrote on the letter touched me. It was "Let's keep our friendship on paper".

I have been thinking about that line. My natural instinct was to immediately write an email to her.  I wanted to let her know that I got the package and the letter, immediately! But, I stopped myself.
I am a huge fan of instant communication. Email, Instant Messages, Text Messaging are all my best friends. To be able to communicate with people so far away almost on a daily basis. To know exactly what is going on in the lives of my family and friends, wherever they may be. My questions are almost immediately answered. My thoughts are immediately received. Keeping in touch has never been easier.

However, instant communication has also replaced snail mail.

I cannot remember the last time I wrote a proper letter. I enjoy writing and sending notes. I still believe in sending cards (Birthday, Thank You, Sympathy, Congratulations etc) and I love sending
postcards. However, an actual letter, just sharing everyday thoughts, not so much.

I used to love writing letters. I probably still do, but am just out of practise. Buying stationery was such treat when I was younger. I actually came across my old collection of stationeries a few weeks ago. I loved handwriting my thoughts on paper, trying to keep my penmanship as impeccable as I could. I loved placing that letter in the matching envelope and sealing it with kiss (It's suppose to bring good luck!), and going to the post office to see my letter off.

Funny, but I do not remember the last time I did that. I figured that by the time the recipient reads my letter, those thoughts are long stale!

Today, I am going to try my luck at writing a snail mail back to my friend. I know that my penmanship will no longer be pretty (I somehow type better than I handwrite!), but I will uphold my end of our friendship. I will honour her request.

I will keep our friendship on paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment