Wednesday 11 July 2012

Fighting Spirit - Written January 3, 2008

I have been wanting to write a blog for a couple of days now but could not be inspired of a topic, til now. I just finished chatting with a good friend of mine in DC. After our Whatsnewwithyou and Happynewyear catch up, we fall into the topic related to the matters of the heart. She is still battling with the heart versus mind thing. She knows in her mind that she has to move forward but she is so scarred by her recent experience that she is almost scared to let her heart go once again.

This sounds familiar and I think that we have all been through this at some stage in our lives.
I then share with her where I am right now. One is that I cannot seem to get a date here in Sydney and two, I hosted morning tea for 3 of my closest HS girlfriends and their families on New Years Day and I was the only single person there! One came with her hubby and 2 kids. One came with her hubby and son and the other came with her hubby! Just as well I have been feeling really good (and beautiful) about myself because otherwise I would have thrown myself into the throes of depression - NOT! Hahahaha.

I shared with her how I truly believe that my turn will come just as much as her turn will come too.
She then asks me the question: "How do you stay so positive after all you have been through?" (yes, hi my name is Joann and I am almost 35 and still single).

My answer to her question is that I have an extremely wonderful support system who constantly remind me of how blessed and beautiful I am and  "Malakas ang fighting spirit ko" - to those who do not understand tagalog, please just ask someone to explain that term to you.

Fighting spirit -
-the spirit that tells a baby who is just learning how to walk to keep getting up and keep trying
-the spirit that convinces a person that there is still goodness in this world and in each one of us
-the spirit that challenges us to keep trying amidst failures we meet
-the spirit that reminds us that we have one life to live and to make the most of it
-the spirit that allows us to laugh at ourselves in times of HUGE blonde moments (no offence to blondes please), which seem to become more often as one gets older
-the spirit to accept that we are not perfect but we each have our own gifts and talents
-the spirit to know that life is fair and that there is good and bad and to know that everything washes out the same way in the end
-the spirit to know that lemons come in really handy on a hot summer day, especially with a bit of sugar
-the spirit to know that the proverb "this too shall pass" goes a long long way
-the spirit to accept and love ourselves especially our bodies despite imperfections that we create

I am sure that each one of us has some form of "fighting spirit" in us. As we start the new year, I wish each of you to seek and hone your fighting spirit. Challenges are innate in life but it is our attitude to these challenges which can make or break us.

Happy 2008 All and wishing each of us a fantastic one filled with wonderful suprises.

Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment