Wednesday 11 July 2012

How many more days??? - Written July 27, 2007

Most of you know that I flew back to DC last Monday. My former boss had a major surgery and she asked to fly me in to help cover for her whilst she heals. Saying yes to her was a no brainer. She has been a wonderful mentor and friend to me that helping her heal was the least I could do.

I was on my 2nd week of being back home in Sydney when I started to think that I did not want to do the trip. It was going to be at least 20 hours of flying each way and I really did not have a permanent place to stay at. Besides my little boo was just getting used to having me around and I was starting to really enjoy my telenovela sessions with my Mum and Dad.

Reluctantly, I soldiered on.

First of all, I am going to say that I am going to make the most of my trip here. I am going to see and spend time with the people that I love and care about, say goodbye to the people that I did not get to see beforehand, attend mass at my favourite church, go to my favourite yoga classes, do some shopping and maybe eat as much Mexican food that I can (that is what Sydney is lacking of it seems - not much Hispanics making their way there).

However, after being back here for over a week now, I feel that I am here physically but my heart and mind seem to be elsewhere. My work has become something that I have already said goodbye to. I go home to other people's home. I am driving someone else's car. I do not own my own towels. I am feeding other people's fish and cats...and I am being nourished with either restaurant food or frozen meals.

I am going to make the most of my remaining time here. I do not want to miss out on the opportunities and gifts of being back here. Besides, I am a firm believer that life is about the journey and not about the destination and I am a huge propagator of living in the NOW rather than living in the WHEN.....

After all, DC is a place I once called home.

1 comment: