Saturday 15 December 2012

Rollercoaster Ride

We have all seen ads for fertility companies, for anything pregnancy related, for anything baby related and even toddler related. Most of these ads are created to make us go "awwwww". The innocence of children, skin so soft, their smell so addictive, their tiny finger and toes. Who in their right mind would not want to "buy" what these ads are selling?

If I ever get commissioned to create an ad about children, I think I have my tag line.....

Children? - Get ready for the biggest and fastest rollercoaster ride you will embark on!

The highest will be the biggest highs and the lowest will be the lowest ever you will feel. Some parts will be like a loop-the-loops while other parts are just plain old straight.
 
I actually wanted to write a blog yesterday to share the pride I felt as I knew my little boy was growing up.  N is currently toilet training. We had originally planned to do it over the Christmas holidays but after a successful wee in the toilet on Wednesday afternoon, he decided that undies are the way to go. Hence from Thursday, he was been wearing undies during the day. He has had continuous accidents but we persist. We recognise that his interest in wearing undies is a good thing and that eventually, like most things, it just "clicks". 

Yesterday, my big boy did 2 wees and a poo in the toilet. We were so happy and proud that it erased all feelings of frustration from the accidents.

Add the fact that I took him to get his haircut in the afternoon, which I was dreading as Tim was not going to be with me. However, N surprised the bejezees out of me as for the very first time, there were no tears and no dramas. He listened and followed Ms. Brenda (the baby whisperer of hairdressers) and sat still for the cut and actually seemed to enjoy it.

My heart was full of pride.

Today, my rollercoaster took a big fat dip.

From the moment N woke up, he whinged. Everything was hard. Everything was dramatic. Everything!

Those ads that show children following everything a parent asks them to do - they LIE! Children do not do that. Children want what they want and if they don't get that, they scream. They scream from the top of their lungs. They scream because they know that eventually their screams will drive you insane that you will do anything just to shut them up. I actually had to put N to his room today because I had to show him that I meant what I said. Sigh.

When we were out, N was way too excited to think about going to the toilet. Instead, he had accidents, including a not so pleasant experience that Tim had to endure.

And before we could drive home, the battle continued. Sadly, Tim lost it too.

As if we don't have enough on your hands with N's TTing, we are still battling with E and the bottle. I actually do not blame her whingeing. It must be so confusing to her to have us force her to take formula when the breast is just around the corner, easier and more comforting. However, we continue to persist as I know we are going to pay a higher price if we do not get her used to it before daycare starts.

Today was a hard day.

Today is a day where the biggest marketing soiree than can possibly appeal to parents would be a screaming child, mummy juice (Pepsi Max for me) and lots of potato chips (or Twisties).

Now that's an idea










No comments:

Post a Comment