Thursday 22 February 2018

Four-ty-five


Five years ago, when I turned the big four-oh, I wrote a piece about the 40 things I learned through my 30s. 

As I turn forty-five today, or in my mind, 36, I wanted to rehash what I wrote as I think that each of these points continue to be relevant to carry me through my next milestone - the golden decade!

To pay homage to my slight OCD-ness, I have added another five points at the end of my list.



Cake made with love by Tim, Noah and Eliza

Team Stentiford

So yesterday, I turned the big four - oh! Yikes! It seemed as if was just yesterday when I flew to the UK from DC to celebrate my 30th birthday with my brother as I did not want to be alone on my milestone birthday. My life has certainly changed in the last decade - and for the best.

I spent most of my 30's waiting...waiting to meet the man for me, waiting to have my own children, waiting to find inner peace. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be blessed so abundantly.

So as I turn a new decade, I want to share 40 things that I have learned in the last decade. It has been a massive learning experience for me as I transitioned from being completely selfish to someone who barely has time for herself these days (thank God for a husband who is very good at taking care of me).

I would like to think that my story is still being written, my picture is still being painted and the puzzles are still being put together.

I can only look forward to what the next decade has in store.

1. Life is how you make it! (Thanks Dad!!!)
2. Be grateful for what you have
3. Never compare
4. All in God's time
5. Children will drive you to drinking
6. Happy wife = happy life
7. Pray for a partner who makes you a better person
8. Its all about timing!
9. Never judge - you never know what goes on behind closed doors
10. Prayers work
11. I will never be a size 8 -the sooner I accepted my body size, the sooner I became at peace with myself
12. Housework will never end
13. Marriage is a verb
14. Parenthood is like riding a roller coaster ride
15. Children can bring you so much life but also suck the life out of you
16.  Food and lifestyle choices do impact your body
17. Appreciate your parents -  they are/were trying to do their best
18. Traveling opens the mind
19. Pick your battles
20. Social media is here to stay
21. Why worry about things you have no control of (Thanks Lolo Maneng!!!)
22. Take care of your teeth - especially when you are young
23. The best gifts my parents gave me - Love, Support and Opportunities
24.  Does it really matter?
25.  Happiness really is a choice
26.  Know your body shape and find your style
27. Everything has a cost
28. Sometimes the cheapest option is not the best
29. Find a good hairdresser
30. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture
31. Grab opportunities
32. Listen to your intuition
33. Let go of your sense of entitlement
34. Pray for others
35. Try to be the best wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, niece, cousin etc. possible
36. Read washing labels, especially on dresses
37. Be happy for others - what comes around, goes around
38. You will never need everything you pack when going away
39. Ask for help, the world will never fail to surprise
40. Believe in someone/something greater than you
41. Teach your children to be proud of their heritage - they will be proud of it one day
42. Never underestimate a child's comprehension or ability
43. Reality tv fries your brains, but can be so addictive
44. Peace and quiet are worth its weight in gold
45. Family is everything

My 40th Birthday Card

No comments:

Post a Comment