Monday 30 January 2017

Australian Open 2017

Centre Court


I was almost 12 when we moved to Australia. Not long after arriving, my Mum took me to the local girls high school where they were coaching children to play tennis. I was adamant that I wanted to learn. My ever supportive Mum took me to the local K-mart and bought my very first tennis racquet. I started tennis lessons the following week.

At that age, we lived in a flat right across Hornsby shopping centre. The shops did not trade on Sundays so I would take myself to the empty indoor parking lot with my tennis racquet and balls and start hitting the wall. My Dad, who is an amazing sportsman always said that you will only get better if you practiced. So I did. I rallied against the wall.

Throughout high school, I loved watching and playing tennis. I started playing weekend competitions and would always look forward to the grand slams on tv. Navratrilova was still big then, Ivan Lendl was the cool cat, Stefi Graf was full of grace, Andre Agassi had very long hair, and Monica Seles grunted very loudly. I was absolutely in love with Stefan Edberg too. Tennis became an outlet as it allowed me to meet people from our area (I did not attend a local school). It also allowed me to play in some of the most beautiful houses around the district.

My brother started playing tennis too. For those who knew us when we were young, you would know how good a tennis player my brother was. Like my Dad, he is genetically gifted in sport. He had so much potential that my Dad took him to a tennis camp in Florida where Pete Sampras, then an up and coming player trained.

I stopped following tennis just as Federer/Nadal and the Williams sisters were starting to become great. Occasionally I would watch it on tv but I could no longer tell you who were the top players.

So you can imagine how excited I was when our client invited us to the 2017 Australian Open about a week and a half ago.

Just so that I can remember this, I will also include that I was not my CEO's first choice to attend the tennis with her. However, when she spoke with our client, they insisted that the 2nd ticket go to me, as I had been managing our partnership. You can imagine the excitement I felt as not only did my client insist that I go to Melbourne (they were paying for flights and accommodation too), I finally get to go to a Semi Finals match of a Grand Slam!

My CEO and I flew to Melbourne on Australia Day 2017. Our client had organised for a transfer from the airport to our hotel (did I tell you that we were staying at the Westin too?!), then to attend a 7 course degustation paired with wines at a Spanish restaurant for lunch prior to watching the tennis in the evening.

One indulgent lunch

 
We had about an hour between lunch and the tennis to "freshen up". I think for most of us, it was to take a nana-nap after that indulgent lunch. I took the opportunity to 'freshen up", ring Tim and the kids to hear about their day and to show them my digs for the night.

 
The obligatory selfie


 

So walking into the Australian Open was pretty much like the lunch we had earlier. It was indulgent! Sensory overload. The excitement, the pride, the once in a lifetime opportunity.

I was excited to finally be attending the Australian Open. I was so excited to be watching the Mens Semi Final. I was beside myself knowing that I will get to watch, and cheer for Stan Wawrinka, one of the players that I have a not so secret crush on (last one was Stefan Edberg!)

How big is my smile?
 
Well needless to say it was a terrific match. Stan lost to Roger Federer but it was a well earned win for Roger. The match was well over 3 hrs but it went pretty quick. All my tennis lingo came back to me! The love that I previously had for the sport came back!

It was an epic 5 set!
 
This weekend I have rekindled my love for tennis through the finals, watching the Williams' sisters play for the Women's title and watching Rafa and Roger battle it out once again for the Mens. Seriously, if it wasn't for Rafa losing his hair, and for my need to go to bed way before the end of the 2nd set, I would think I was back to where I was 20 years ago!

PS - I need to look for some photos from my tennis years as a teen.

1 comment: