Sunday 12 May 2013

My Mother's Day Reflection

So I have been a mother for over 3 years now....technically almost 4 as one almost immediately become a mum as soon as she conceives, I think.

Motherhood would have to be the toughest and most challenging yet funnest and most rewarding journey I have ever embarked on in my 40 years.

Pre-children, I prayed vigilantly for a family. I prayed for the opportunity to be a mum. In as much as I love my niece and nephew as my own, I wanted to experience everything that it meant to be a mother. I wanted to know and feel what it is like to have someone call me Mummy, to have someone instinctively run to me when they get hurt and to be able to proudly say "I am so-and-so's Mother".

God was kind enough to bless me with the opportunity to be a Mum, not just once but twice...and to 2 wonderful, happy, beautiful children at that.

Today, my prayers continue to be answered. I continue to experience everything motherhood encompasses. My heart is full of love and gratitude but at the same time, I have wondered how I could possibly keep going. My patience continue to be pushed but I am constantly rewarded with cuddles, sweet moments and such wonder from the children.

Motherhood has taught me things beyond changing nappies and caring unconditionally for others. My children have taught me to enjoy every moment as much as possible. Sooner or later, they will no longer want to be poured with never ending kisses and hugs. Sooner or later, they will no longer ask you to play with them. Sooner or later, they will no longer want to have bedtime books and stories.

Very quickly, motherhood reminded me to stop judging others. Pre-motherhood, I had pre-conceived notions of what a good mother is and how a child can be a reflection of one's parenting style. Quickly, I learned that children have very much minds of their own and that most parents are just trying to be the best they can be, past trying to cope. When I see other mothers struggling with their kids screaming their heads off, I commiserate and empathise, fully acknowledging that we are all just trying to do our best.

My children have started to teach me the importance of being involved. I have never been so active in our community since having the children. I volunteer as much as I can with day care activities. I am actively participating in ensuring that my kids have the best possible environment to grow up in, including writing to my local councilors. Today, I am no longer just a spectator in my community. For my kids, I am trying to make a difference.

No doubt I will continue to be reminded of how tiring motherhood is. No doubt I will continue to be reminded of how much my life has changed since having Noah and Eliza. No doubt I will continue to be reminded of the constant unconditional sacrifices that mothers make.

However, Noah and Eliza also remind me of how blessed I am today. Today, Noah has constantly greeted me "Happy Mothers Day Mummy" and Eliza has taken on her very first step. Nothing else matters!




1 comment: